Last Updated on September 11, 2023
Hunting deer requires skill, patience, and proper equipment. A reliable and accurate rifle scope is essential for precisely hitting your target, especially for long-range shots. When faced with numerous options, selecting the most suitable scope that aligns with your requirements and budget can be challenging. Get ready to discover the best deer rifle scopes under your budget. These scopes are perfect for hunters of all levels. We've handpicked them for their unbeatable performance, durability, and affordability. With one of these scopes, your hunting accuracy will skyrocket, giving you a greater chance of success. So, let's save time and jump into our top picks.
Comparison Table Chart for Best Deer Rifle Scope Under $400
Discover the best deer rifle scopes under $400 and elevate your hunting game. Find top-rated scopes with great value.
|1||TRUGLO 4x32mm Compact Rimfire and Shotgun Scope Series||9.8||Check Price on Amazon|
|2||Monstrum 3-9x32 Rifle Scope with Rangefinder Reticle and Medium Profile Scope Rings - Black||9.6||Check Price on Amazon|
|3||CVLIFE 3-9x40 Optics R4 Reticle Crosshair Scope with 20mm Free Mounts||9.2||Check Price on Amazon|
|4||BURRIS FullField II 6.5-20x50 Scope||9||Check Price on Amazon|
|5||Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn Multi-X Reticle Riflescope with 3.3-Inch Eye Relief||9||Check Price on Amazon|
|6||SVBONY SV120 Rifle Scope 3-9x40||8.8||Check Price on Amazon|
|7||Primary Arms SLX 4-14x44mm FFP Rifle Scope - ACSS-Orion||8.6||Check Price on Amazon|
|8||SNIPER MT 6-24x50 Rifle Scope with Red/Green/Blue Illuminated Reticle Riflescope||8.4||Check Price on Amazon|
|9||TRUGLO TruBrite 30 Hunter 30mm Compact Shotgun/Rifle Scope||8.2||Check Price on Amazon|
|10||Vortex Optics Diamondback Tactical 4-12x40 Second Focal Plane Riflescope - VMR-1 Reticle (MOA)||8.2||Check Price on Amazon|
1. TRUGLO 4x32mm Compact Rimfire and Shotgun Scope Series
- Fully-coated lenses provide maximum brightness, clarity, and contrast
- Rubber eye guard; Durable, scratch-resistant, non-reflective matte finish
- Duplex reticle model includes 3/8″ scope mounting rings ideal for rimfire and air rifles
- Diamond reticle models include weaver-style scope mounting rings
- Diamond reticle is specially designed for shotgun hunting and is perfect for turkey and deer
2. Monstrum 3-9×32 Rifle Scope with Rangefinder Reticle and Medium Profile Scope Rings - Black
- Tactical rifle scope providing crystal clear targeting at 3-9x magnification, with a 32mm objective diameter and an eye relief of 3.
- Glass rangefinder reticle for on-the-fly range estimation and long distance targeting
- Dial controlled reticle illumination in both red and green with multiple brightness intensities
- Includes set of standard profile scope rings for optimum scope placement
- Available in Black or Flat Dark Earth
3. CVLIFE 3-9×40 Optics R4 Reticle Crosshair Scope with 20mm Free Mounts
- Specification: 3-9×40
- Magnification: 3-9x
- Objective Diameter: 1.57
- Exit pupil: 0.2
- Length: 12.20
4. BURRIS FullField II 6.5-20×50 Scope
- Popular and premium traditional hunting scope at an affordable price; High-grade optical glass provides excellent brightness and clarity with lasting durability.
- Quality, precision-ground lenses are larger than those of comparable scopes, for better light transmission; Index-matched, Hi-Lume multicoating aids in low-light performance and glare elimination, increasing your success rate.
- Durable, integrated-eyepiece design has no-slip grip for easy adjustment in the field; Positive steel-on-steel adjustments assure repeated accuracy.
- Durable, stress-free, solid 1-piece outer tube withstands shock and vibrations of even the heaviest recoil.
- Covered by the Burris Forever Warranty.
5. Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn Multi-X Reticle Riflescope with 3.3-Inch Eye Relief
- Quality optics with stunning HD clarity
- 100 percentage quality materials used and tested extensively
- Beautiful design and durability built to last
- Low light rifle scope with 3 to 9x magnification and 40 millimeter objective lens
- Dusk & Dawn Brightness (DDB) multicoated lenses for clarity and brightness
- Multi X reticle; 1/4 MOA fingertip windage and elevation adjustments
- 100 percent waterproof/fog proof construction; 3.3 inches of eye relief
- Fast focus eyepiece; Measures 12 inches long
6. SVBONY SV120 Rifle Scope 3-9×40
- 3 to 9x magnification and 40 millimeter objective lens;Parallax-free at 100 yards;Field of View@ 100yds is13.
- Ample eye relief; Long 2.
- Fully Multi coated Optical System; Provide bright; Vivid pictures and optimum light transmission
- The Turrets for windage and elevation are smooth and “click” into place nicely and are marked so that it’s easier to sight in the scope at different yardages.
- 4mm one-piece machined aluminum tubes;Ensures outstanding water and fog proof performance;Pair of Ring Mounts and Scope caps included.
7. Primary Arms SLX 4-14x44mm FFP Rifle Scope – ACSS-Orion
- Variable 4-14x magnification first focal plane scope features the ACSS Orion reticle for .308.223-06
- ACSS Orion reticle features quick ranging and wind holds for hunting deer and coyote sized targets
- Waterproof, shockproof and nitrogen purged with a durable aluminum scope body
- Covered by a 3 year warranty for defects due to materials or workmanship
8. SNIPER MT 6-24×50 Rifle Scope with Red/Green/Blue Illuminated Reticle Riflescope
- Superior Multi-Coated lenses for reduction of glare and reflection, while maximizing light transmission for ultimate image brightness and clarity from edge to edge.
- Red, Green and Blue illuminated color Mil-Dot reticle, along with auto off to save battery life
- QTA (Quick Adjustment) turrets with precise 1/4 MOA click value for wind and elevation adjustment
- Constructed with single piece of premium Aircraft-grade aluminum alloy with 1 inch tube diameter body.
- Nitrogen filled scope body, completely sealed with o-ring, making scope shockproof, waterproof, and fog proof.
9. TRUGLO TruBrite 30 Hunter 30mm Compact Shotgun/Rifle Scope
- 1-4X magnification for fast target acquisition; 30mm tube for increased brightness and click adjustments.
- Large exit pupil and generous 3.
- Durable leaf spring click adjustments for windage and elevation; water-resistant, fogproof, nitrogen gas-filled.
- Extremely wide field of view; 1/2-MOA windage/elevation adjustments
- Weaver-style rings included; bright 24mm objective lens
10. Vortex Optics Diamondback Tactical 4-12×40 Second Focal Plane Riflescope – VMR-1 Reticle (MOA)
- Durability and perfomance are the pillars of the Diamondback Tactical 4-12×40 riflescope.
- Extra-low dispersion glass and XR fully multi-coated lenses give the brightest views possible.
- With distinctive, responsive dialing, the exposed tactical turrets are built with the shooter in mind.
- Strong o-ring seals, nitrogen purging, and shockproof construction guarantees rugged, waterproof and fogproof performance.
- The Diamondback Tactical offers features that will benefit any rifle platform.
How to Choose the Ideal Deer Rifle Scope for Your Hunts
If you want to improve your hunting skills, consider investing in a high-quality deer rifle scope. This can enhance your accuracy and increase the likelihood of a successful harvest. We are available to assist you in finding the perfect scope to meet your hunting requirements.
1. Consider Your Budget
Before diving into the world of rifle scopes, it's essential to establish your budget. Scopes come in a variety of prices, so knowing how much you're willing to spend will help narrow your options. While budget-friendly options are available, investing in a high-quality scope can significantly enhance your hunting experience.
2. Determine Your Hunting Range
Consider the typical shooting distances you'll encounter during your deer hunts. Are you hunting in dense woods with close-range shots, or do you have access to wide-open fields where longer shots may be required? The ideal scope will vary based on your hunting environment.
- Low Magnification (2-7x): Suitable for close-range hunting or thick woods where shots are typically within 100 yards.
- Medium Magnification (3-9x or 4-12x): Versatile options for various hunting environments and distances.
- High Magnification (6-18x or greater): Best for long-range shooting in open fields or prairies.
3. Understand Reticle Types
The reticle, also known as the crosshair, is a vital scope element. Different reticle types offer various advantages:
- Duplex Reticle: Simple and versatile, suitable for most hunting situations.
- Mil-Dot Reticle: Provides holdover and range estimation capabilities, ideal for long-range shooting.
- BDC (Bullet Drop Compensator) Reticle: Designed to compensate for bullet drop at different distances.
Choose a reticle that aligns with your hunting style and preferences.
4. Consider Optics Quality
The quality of the optics is paramount for a clear and bright image. Look for scopes with multi-coated lenses, which reduce glare and improve light transmission. Additionally, consider the size of the objective lens; larger lenses gather more light and provide a brighter image, especially in low-light conditions.
5. Assess Durability and Weather Resistance
Hunting exposes your equipment to harsh conditions, so durability and weather resistance are essential. Option for scopes with robust construction, shockproof features, and waterproofing. A scope with nitrogen or argon purging will prevent fogging in changing temperatures.
6. Check for Eye Relief and Eye Box
Eye relief is the term used to describe the specific distance between your eye and the eyepiece that enables a full field of view. Ensure the scope you choose has sufficient eye relief to prevent recoil-related injuries. A forgiving eye box is also crucial, as it allows for quicker target acquisition.
7. Test the Turrets and Adjustability
Turrets control windage and elevation adjustments. Look for scopes with easy-to-use turrets that provide audible and tactile clicks for precise adjustments. Some scopes have zero-reset turrets for added convenience.
8. Seek Reviews and Recommendations
Delve into the depths of online forums, hunting magazines, and expert opinions to unearth the hidden gems that will revolutionize your hunting game. Make sure to make a timely decision, and arm yourself with the knowledge of reviews and recommendations from fellow hunters. Discover the performance and reliability of specific scope models that will have you hunting like a true expert.
9. Warranty and Customer Support
Check the manufacturer's warranty and customer support policies. A scope with a solid warranty is a good indication of the manufacturer's confidence in their product.
10. Mounting and Compatibility
Make sure the scope you choose is compatible with your rifle and that you have the appropriate mounting hardware. Proper mounting is crucial for maintaining accuracy.
Waterproof vs. Fogproof Scopes: Which is Better?
Waterproof and fogproof scopes serve different purposes. Waterproof scopes are designed to resist moisture, making them ideal for rainy or wet conditions. They prevent water damage to internal components.
On the other hand, fogproof scopes are built to prevent internal fogging in changing temperatures, ensuring a clear view.
The choice depends on your intended use. If you anticipate wet conditions, go for waterproof. Option for fogproof if you'll be in environments with temperature variations. Ideally, a scope should be both waterproof and fogproof for versatile performance. Ultimately, the decision depends on your individual requirements and the environmental circumstances you will face.
Q1: How do I choose the magnification for my top deer rifle scope?
A1: Selecting the appropriate magnification for your deer rifle scope depends on your hunting environment and personal preferences. For shorter-range hunting in dense woods, a lower magnification, like 3-9x, may be ideal, allowing for a wider field of view. Consider scopes with 12x or more for improved precision for longer-range shots in open terrain. The right magnification should ultimately align with your typical hunting scenarios and shooting skills.
Q2: Are illuminated reticles necessary in top deer rifle scopes?
A2: Illuminated reticles can be beneficial in certain situations. They provide better visibility in low-light conditions, such as dawn or dusk, which are prime hunting times. However, whether necessary depends on your hunting habits and local regulations. An illuminated reticle can be a valuable feature if you often hunt in low-light conditions. Check your state's hunting regulations to ensure they are legal for deer hunting in your area.
Q3: Should I prioritize lens coating when choosing a top deer rifle scope?
A3: Lens coatings are crucial for image clarity and light transmission. Multicoated lenses with anti-reflective coatings are highly recommended. These coatings reduce glare, enhance image brightness, and improve contrast, resulting in a clearer sight picture. When selecting a top deer rifle scope, prioritize scopes with quality lens coatings to ensure a clear and sharp view of your target, especially in challenging lighting conditions.
In conclusion, selecting the ideal deer rifle scope requires careful consideration of your budget, hunting range, reticle type, optics quality, durability, and adjustability. Evaluating these factors and seeking recommendations from experienced hunters will help you make an informed decision. The appropriate deer rifle scope will ensure you are equipped for a productive and pleasurable hunting season.